Friday, April 2, 2010

marlene Dumas

Marlene Dumas, Figure in a Landscape, 2010. Oil on linen, 70 7/8 x 118 1/8 x 1 inches, 180 x 300 x 2.5 cm. Courtesy the artist and David Zwirner, New York.

Came across this new exhibition by one of my all time favourite artists, Marlene Dumas at David Zwirner Gallery in New York. When I first saw the painting, I was disappointed as I am used to the full frontal, zoomed in nudes or portraits with an edge, which has, until now, been typical of her work. However, there's a great analysis in the Art Daily Blog which, when read, made me more uncomfortable with the often ostensibly decorative art that I am prone to produce. It's a rare case of reading about the work actually adding to its value and appreciability rather than standing in for the lack of visual communication of a painting.

To be so interesting visually, but have such thought provoking content that can move the viewer on many levels is what I would like to do, also. But I guess that's what makes Marlene Dumas the great international artist, much copied but never equalled, that she is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...