Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Mt Eyre Vineyards Art Prize Finalists


Although I wasn't chosen for the final hang for this Art Prize (congratulations to one of my readers, Annabel, who was!) I have to say that this is a pretty good little show and worth the effort of hiking over the wrong side of Oxford St to see. I'll admit, I don't really like the winner or the runners up, but would gladly have seen the prize go to Claude Jones (no relation) for Monkey Magic (Left); Nathan Taylor for his beautiful, Olive Cotton-esque photograph (Untitled II Pictured Right) or a sculpture made from recycled materials that doesn't seem to be listed on the gallery's website or Works for Sale list, but most surely was spied by me (weird!) The sculpture had such "lift" and a sense of touch and each "tower" seemed to be exactly the right height to create tension. I was waiting for it to move for some minutes. It was a conglomeration of beautiful natural pieces such as small shafts of driftwood, wind blown sandstone and rusted coat hanger wire...assembled into babel-like structures of almost nothingness and air! (Enough - you can't see it)
Show just opened and is on till 11th July (Tues-Sat 11-6, Sunday 12-4pm) at Rex-Livingston Art Dealers 59 Flinders St Darlinghurst

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...