Sunday, September 5, 2010

Artist 's Quotes on Process

Image: Gabrielle Jones, "Shade, Speed and the Distance" 2010 Oil on Canvas, 152 x 122cm

“The notion of not having to get to a destination makes everything a possible destination.... If you have no certainty about how something is going to develop, then you go through the whole process of witnessing its development”. Robert Rauschenberg

“(Jasper Johns) uses paint as an active kind of layering. He moulds it. Glues things on, and uses templates until the paint begins to have a concreteness, which reminds me of Cezanne”. Elizabeth Murray

“I find it, then I go looking for what it is.” Picasso (on his choice of subjects and shifts of style)

“One should accept all givens, and move on from there” John Cage

“Of course I constantly despair at my own incapacity, at the impossibility of ever accomplishing anything, of painting a valid, true picture or even knowing what such a thing ought to look like. But then I always have the hope that, if I persevere, it might one day happen…..I have no motif, only motivation” Gerhard Richter, 1985

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...