Monday, January 24, 2011

Twilight Charcoals


Images; Gabrielle Jones, Twilight 1" (top and "Twilight II" (bottom);
both 2010 and Charcoal and Shellac, 70 x 100cm

These two drawings were actually the first in the series. I think I like them displayed one on top of the other. I also like that they are fresher than the later ones, and capture the abstract/real conundrum that asks the viewer to reassess what exactly it is that they are seeing. I hope the "looking" is rewarded.
I always seem to start fresh and then close up, the more pieces I do in a series. It is a constant battle to achieve a fluidity and mastery that looks effortless. I don't know if that's because, in this case, the process was so painstaking, or whether it's a natural result of the number of times you repeat a similar process in achieving a body of work. I try to approach each painting or drawing in a series in as novel a way as possible. The images and ideas I want to portray often demand it. Maybe it's just fatigue, and I need to take a break more often.

What do you think? How do you keep your work fresh?

If you'd like to see what they look like framed and on the wall (side by side) here's the link.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...