Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Professional Practice part 5

Continuing the answers to most commonly asked questions, here's part 5

Where do you draw your inspiration from?

I am essentially a process artist - i enjoy painting, want to do it as often as I can, love to experiment with what paint does. That's my real inspiration, and somewhere along the line, I realised that landscape provided me with the structure to hang the paint, so that's what i do now. (I love the landscape as much as most people do). I am also interested in expressing the spiritual, primal, monumental - and landscape seems to provide the device to do this.

As for the day to day - best way to get inspiration, for me, is in the studio painting. Just start and see where it takes you! I am lucky to have had a residency in Bundanon and internalising that landscape structure over the 5 weeks I was there (working every day!) has provided a great base, so I can remember it and call on it at will. (I need to get back out there now, as I am waning in inspiration! ie I need to fill my soul again for the next lot of work.) I often start from a drawing, then draw from that drawing, then paint from the drawing, then let the painting talk to me as to what it needs. Thus, I waste a lot of paintings, but the good ones reflect something in me that isn't on the surface, that i can't get to otherwise (the "other" in art) and is unique (I hope).

Where do you draw your inspiration from? What is your process?

Do you have Professional Practice questions that need an answer? Post your comments here

Image: Cherry Blossom 2009 Oil on Ply 30 x 30cm

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...