Friday, October 2, 2009

professional Practice part 6

Another instalment where I answer commonly asked Professional Practice questions.

You often paint landscapes. Would you say that your work is about the Australian landscape specifically? Is your work about your personal response to a landscape or memory of a landscape?

Because I am Australian, I understand the landscape here better than other places. Tahiti, where I had a residency, was too beautiful for me. I found it hard - but could have done something unusual, but was not given the time to explore. (It was like being a performing monkey for two weeks, on show to the guests!) I am applying for one in Spain - I am sure that will be great - and I want to see if I can respond to a different landscape.

Definitely my painting is about personal response and experience - not so interested about it objectively - I would use a camera for that!

Why do you paint? Do you paint from Life? Are there any questions you would like answered? Post comments and ask questions here.

Image: Gabrielle Jones, Underbrush 2009, oil on canvas 65 x 50cm

2 comments:

  1. I think that the Austalian landscape has so much to offer yet is rarely captured in truely unique ways. I get sooooo sick of seeing artists trying to paint the lanscape as if they were Boyd, Streeton or (insert name of dead white male artist here). Equally, I'm wary of gimmicks too ie. using a blurred image from a moving car or gritty urban realism as a metaphor. It's just so clunky and predictable when it's done poorly or repeated over and over again. It says 'I've found my style; I can stop looking now'. Fresh painting however, an honest response, really looking, being prepared to push and take risks is so rare but you know it when you see it. Keep it up Gabrielle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about the dead white male complex of landscape artists, and the gimmicks (and copyists!) that seem to be currently doing the rounds. I sometimes think I would love to have "found my style" - but know I would be bored to death doing the same thing day in and day out -besides, it's anathema to the artistic temperament. Amy Sillman (yes, I looked her up!) said that it takes at least ten years for a painter to come to their real (read individual) work - so I'm giving myself that long at least.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...