Monday, June 22, 2009

Inspiring Quotes from Artists - How to use rejection

Image: Gabrielle Jones, Waters Edge, Oil on Canvas, 111x83cm

I thought I would share with you some of the quotes I collect from my reading, in a series of blogs. Here's the first one on handling failure

“Basically, those who continue to make art are those who have learned how not to quit. Those who challenge their fears, continue – those who don’t, quit” David Bayles, Ted Orland (Authors, Art & Fear”)

“It’s been an enormous struggle to get where I am…in art school, they kept telling me I had no ability…but it’s a matter of how you see. It’s an act of will, of force” Sean Scully (Irish)

“I, painting from myself to myself, know what I do, am unmoved by men’s blame, or praise either. Somebody remarks “Morello’s outline there is wrongly traced his hue mistaken” – what of that? Or else, “Rightly traced and well ordered” – What of that? Speak as they please, what does the mountain care? Ah, but a man’s reach should exceed his grasp, or what’s a heaven for?...” Robert Browning ( English poet)

“Our flaws and weaknesses, while often obstacles to getting things done, are a source of strength as well. Something about making art has to do with overcoming things – for doing things in a way we have always known we should do them” David Bayles, Ted Orland (Authors, “Art & Fear”)

“I don’t think that being an artist is about making yourself bullet proof. It’s about exposing yourself to attack. Being able to take it” Sean Scully (Irish)

What great quotes do you have? Were these helpful? Comment here

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...