Sunday, October 18, 2009

More Quotes - On Artistic Process II

“You have to reduce in order to be clear.” Luc Tuymans

“Art proves itself in the making…I don’t want to see the world in any personal way. I have no aesthetic problem and the technique of making is immaterial. There’s no distinction between paintings, and I would like to change my methods as often as appropriate.” Gerhard Richter

“The physicality of the painting is important, whereas I don’t think the depiction of psychological states can give the same impact, the same strangeness, the same directness – or indirectness”. Luc Tuymans

“Certainty is the less safe option” Gerhard Richter

“When you are in front of a painting, you’re in front of the place where whoever made that work was, and you see the process of the making…” Jenny Saville

“You realise that you can’t represent reality at all – that what you make represents nothing but itself, and therefore, is itself reality….I’m not trying to imitate a photograph, I’m trying to make one.” Gerhard Richter

Image: Gabrielle Jones, "Sofala" 2008 Oil on Canvas 110x 83cm

2 comments:

  1. Great how you write about art: could be a new (extra) job for you: being an art critic: i find it very interesting the way you write! Very informative and easy to read at the same time, keep going! Ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ingrid/Nick! I will (keep going) - I enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...