Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Professional Practice part 8

Almost there- another instalment, answering artist's professional practice questions.

What is your artistic process? (Do you sketch, work outside, take photos, write etc)?

I do all of these. I find a camera seems to help me focus on seeing - frames the view, assists composition etc. It provides a record of the experience only - I print the best photos, but rarely refer to them when starting a painting other than to flick through the collection - it gets me into the "Right brain" and fills me with a sense of the landscape. If I use pics, It will usually be after drawing from them and drawing from he drawing etc.

I need to periodically get into the landscape to refill - even if not a stretch at a time. And then I like to look a lot - no talk in the car! Every two years or so, I need to spend time there to internalise the structures and refill the soul.

How do you work? Do you have a routine? Post your comments or any questions you have here.

Image: Gabrielle Jones, Billabong 2009 Oil on Canvas 40 x 30 cm

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...