Saturday, April 23, 2011

Large Wall Drawing

In the studio - the two sets of works n paper together.

Image: Gabrielle Jones, "Valparaiso", Powdered Graphite, Acrylic Paint, Charcoal, Guache

I decided to lash out and enjoy playing in the studio. This drawing came from my musings on the checked structure of the floors at Valparaiso, and on the black and white checks of Balinese cloths traditionally adorning Temples, the attendees at ceremonies, and even political parties. I always have a need to abstract.
I had a lot of fun using new materials (Nancy supplied Powdered Graphite, and I used spray paint for the first time) and layering the marks, and was surprised how restriction of colours to black and white produced such a varied number of greys, brown blacks and even blues. In addition, it is satisfying that a restriction in materials can lead to more creativity than if everything was available. I may push this notion of layered, process based painting into a new body of work. It suits my abstract tendencies, my awareness of the placement of works next to each other and the need to co-ordinate and deliberately move the eye across the picture plane, and my love of the risk and process involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...